Re: [atomic-devel] Question about atomic-reactor and 'docker build' stdout

Quoting Adam Miller (2015-08-26 00:47:48)
> Hello all,
>     I was curious if anyone knew of a way to capture effectively the
> equivalent of stdout from 'docker build .'  when using
> atomic-reactor's python api? I'm not seeing how I would go about it
> and thought I would just ask.
>
> I'm familiar with doing the following (with source predefined):
>     response = \
>        build_image_using_hosts_docker(
>             "buildimage",
>             source,
>             "test-build"
>         )
>     response.build_logs
>
> Which provides the logs from the atomic-reactor run inside the
> container. I also found that using DockerTasker would allow me to
> reference this same information, but I was curious if there's in
> introspection point that allows to grab the following information:
>
> # docker build .
> Sending build context to Docker daemon   105 kB
> Sending build context to Docker daemon
> Step 0 : FROM fedora:latest
>  ---> ded7cd95e059
> Step 1 : MAINTAINER http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud
>  ---> Using cache
>  ---> 9f97f024d47a
> Step 2 : RUN dnf -y update && dnf clean all
>  ---> Using cache
>  ---> e5b0ea2b7754
> Step 3 : RUN dnf -y install httpd && dnf clean all
>  ---> Using cache
>  ---> 0c9f137f508c
> Step 4 : RUN echo "Apache" >> /var/www/html/index.html
>  ---> Using cache
>  ---> 85461d238aef
> Step 5 : EXPOSE 80
>  ---> Using cache
>  ---> 7c08c855c39f
> Step 6 : ADD run-apache.sh /run-apache.sh
>  ---> 83f8d7985d04
> Removing intermediate container c3107d502888
> Step 7 : RUN chmod -v +x /run-apache.sh
>  ---> Running in e0cce7c17116
> mode of '/run-apache.sh' changed from 0644 (rw-r--r--) to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
>  ---> 93c019e967d6
> Removing intermediate container e0cce7c17116
> Step 8 : CMD /run-apache.sh
>  ---> Running in 6bd5a6cfc7f3
>  ---> e6d701d7f85e
> Removing intermediate container 6bd5a6cfc7f3
> Successfully built e6d701d7f85e
>
> Or even if there is such information available since atomic-reactor is
> triggering builds from the docker.Client python api.
>
> If anyone has information about this they are willing to share, it
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> -AdamM

Hi Adam,

I was checking the code and it's not possible to do such thing at the moment.

The way this could work is that we would take the information (output of `docker
build .`), store it in a shared directory [1] and read it on a host once the
build finishes. As you can see, the code is there but it's commented out (I
checked `git blame` and it was me who commented it back in January -- looong
time ago).

Please file a RFE and we can work on it.

Btw, what is the usecase of this feature?

[1] https://github.com/projectatomic/atomic-reactor/commit/7a73a18c0af4bd99bfeacbd6ddd79914bd186184

Thanks!

~~
Tomáš Tomeček