Re: [atomic-devel] [fedora-atomic f23] remove Python source files

Fabian Deutsch <fdeutsch redhat com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Giuseppe Scrivano <gscrivan redhat com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was experimenting with reducing the size of the Atomic Host image and
>> it seems that a lot of space is used by Python source files.
>
> For many (6?) years we have been blacklisting .py files in oVirt Node
> (a slimmed down fedora/CentOS based appliance).
>
> The removal caused some trouble:
> - removing informations from drawbacks
> - Making debugging - testing changes - very cumbersome
> - Breaks "plugin" mechanisms of a surprising large number of tools
>
> In our next release we will finally re-introduce .py files again:
> Bug 1233106 - [RFE] Remove all kernel, firmware, and .py file blacklisting
>
> I'd suggest to consider and not underestimate these factors.

thanks for the feedbacks.  Were .pyc files used instead of the .py
version in oVirt?  IIUIC, pyc files maintain the same information as the
original source file, while .pyo files are a optimized version that has
not all the original content.  Using the optimized version, I could
strip 55 MB of space from the Fedora Atomic image, if I use .pyc then
the reduction is only 27 MB.

Nick, would .pyc be a safe alternative to .py files or are there still
cases where it doesn't work in the same way?

Thanks,
Giuseppe