Re: [atomic-devel] Container data and uid/gid

I do agree this is an issue, but its one that's exacerbated by containers not created by them.  It makes more sense to me do try to accomplish this at the orchestration layer that has visibility to the platform and the containers.

Especially at a pod layer where it's critical to match UID/GID.  Question here, would it require the use of Kubernetes volumes not Docker volumes to accomplish?  Would etcd be useful in this case to provide a specific set of UID/GID combos to containers?  Security issues with that approach?

I don't think this addresses the rpm-ostree issue as that isn't container related, is it Colin?  Am I misinterpreting that the potential issue comes from local changes vs composed changes that affect UID/GID assignments?

-Matt M

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 5:16 PM, Clayton Coleman <ccoleman redhat com> wrote:
At some point in the near future we're going to try and define global uid allocation (or a means whereby someone can do global uid allocation) for containers in Kubernetes.  It's too important a problem for real customers (there's no other way to have consistent security across tens or hundreds of machines) to go without.