Re: [atomic-devel] Proposal: no docker group by default

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015, at 09:41 AM, Stef Walter wrote:

> It should not be routine to add users to this group. It should be
> routine to sudo in order to use docker.

Fully agree.

> It would be important to make such a decision soon. Ideally this week,
> since people will come to depend on this group being present by default.

A major wrinkle here though is upgrades. Fedora 21 (and Atomic variant) have
already shipped and included a docker package with this group.

And in order to make it work, we have a docker.socket that references
the group.

My concern here is that if we ship an update that drops the %pre
and changes docker.socket to be root:root, it will break anyone who
is using the group now - the group will still be there on upgrades, but
the socket defaults will change.

I'd say we could certainly make this change in rawhide - it's reasonable
to require some admin intervention after major updates.

Or alternatively, we could just say it was a bad idea and ship a F21
update that makes this change.