Re: [atomic-devel] draft of Every-two-week Fedora Atomic Host change proposal

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015, at 02:20 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 07:47:17PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Two_Week_Atomic
>
> Now updated based on some feedback and with a schematic of how I
> envision the build→test→release→present process working. If anything in
> that looks wrong, let's fix it sooner rather than later.

One thing that's absolutely essential here is to determine how the OSTree
commit process happens.  Your diagram omits this AFAICS.

Currently the tree compose happens as part of Bodhi for updates,
so whenever a package passes karma, and then goes through the whole
updates signing process etc, it gets committed to the tree
too - there's no Atomic-specific gating or checking.

OSTree actually has the capability to deliver significantly faster
than once every 24 hours, and that has been proven in other
contexts.  The HTTP-heavy data format looks a lot less silly when one does this,
as you get a natural delta when skipping intermediate versions.

But the high level question is - for delivery, does the tree stay sync'd to the
images, and have the same version, or not?

My initial take here is to sync the tree commit with the image for delivery,
but to have the tree operate asynchronously of image generation for
updates-testing.  There needs to be a fast feedback cycle for
development inside the two weeks - this could be the updates-testing
ref that already exists.

(And for all of this two week discussion, we need to think about async
 security errata and how that's versioned/tested/shipped)