Re: [atomic-devel] Base image sizes

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 11:53:29AM -0500, Scott Collier wrote:
> >>Folks -
> >>    When comparing base images:
> >>     centos 232M
> >>  fedora 254M
> >>    ubuntu 208M
> >>  debian:wheezy 97M
> >>    Do we have any plans for OS-light images?
[...]
> docker base image.

Current F22 test base image is 247M, so we're down 7. :)

In seriousness, this has crept up quite a lot since the initial
versions we'd worked on a while ago, and has some huge room for
improvement. I see it includes dracut and grub2, and fedora-logos, and
a bunch of other stuff that seems kind of questionable. (Freetype?
xkeyboard-config???).

And then there's of course systemd and its dependencies — not sure of
the status of work around that in docker.

Python is probably the next big one, but we can't get rid of that
until there's a good way to run DNF externally.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm mattdm org             <http://mattdm.org/>
Fedora Project Leader  mattdm fedoraproject org  <http://fedoraproject.org/>