[atomic-devel] Determining if a host is an atomic host via /etc/os-release

I'm working on docker-machine integration for atomic host's. The
problem I'm facing is the fact that "atomic" isn't defined under
/etc/os-release, it's simply "fedora" or "centos" as the id.

At the moment the only viable way to determine if an OS is an atomic
host or not would be 'ls /ostree' or 'rpm-ostree status' (correct me
if I'm wrong). Unfortunately it would be bad coding practice to
require SSH'ing into a machine via the Docker machine generic driver
in order to determine if it is atomic or not before proceeding.
Ideally, having this information within /etc/os-release would be the
most ideal.

Is there a possibility to add a description to /etc/os-release? Or
perhaps using fedora22-atomic, fedora23-atomic, etc as a release id? Creating a
standardized way for scripts (Ansible, docker machine, etc.) to detect
if this is an atomic host or not?

I did try 'uname -r' as well to try and determine if there was a
specifically named kernel version for atomic hosts as an alternative
to determining if it's an atomic host, but to no avail.

Best regards,

--

Charlie Drage
Red Hat - OSAS Team / Project Atomic