Re: [atomic-devel] docker-1.11 handling of runc and containerd.

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 09:04:27AM -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Not sure what the policies of Fedora and Centos to have multiple
> versions of basically the same executable installed on the system at
> once.

The Fedora policy is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Multiple_packages_with_the_same_base_name

tl;dr is that it's okay, but it's deone through the hack of putting the
version in the package name. This works fine when it's infrequent, but
is a pain otherwise, especially since each new version needs to go
through package review separately, gets its own repo in dist-git, and a
whole bunch of other overhead.

We have "some reasonable way of dealing with different package
versions" on the deliverables from
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/Fedora_Modularization,_Prototype_Phase,
so possibly we'll have a better answer soon, but that's where we are
now.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm fedoraproject org>