Re: [atomic-devel] kernel modules present on Fedora Atomic Host

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016, at 12:17 PM, Giuseppe Scrivano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> has anyone looked before into the kernel modules we are shipping with
> Fedora Atomic Host and is there any plan on removing modules that are
> not needed?
>
> For example, removing the following ones could help to reduce (slightly)
> the image size:

There was an effort to split the kernel:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Modular_Kernel_Packaging_for_Cloud

This is yet a different case though.  I'm not sure how well the modular
kernel really worked anyways due to the spectrum of use cases (e.g.
in some cases you might have a cloud image that wants to drive a GPU
that's available via passthrough...)

Basically I'd say in order to do this we'd have to move to deployment-specific
images.  For example, we know in a virt environment we could drop a lot
of the drivers.

Dropping out sound cards is something that would cross all of the deployment
targets, but I'm uncertain about the win vs maintenance.