Re: [atomic-devel] Atomic Host Vagrant box crashes when inserting kernel module

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016, at 10:26 PM, Yun-Chih Chen wrote:
I use the Vagrantfile[1] in rpm-ostree to boot up a CentOS 7 Atomic Host.
The kernel panics when running "rpm-ostree install fuse-sshfs", in the stage of "Copying /etc changes: xx modified, xx removed, xx added".  It turns out that a kernel module called "raid6" get inserted and its dependent module "raid6_pq" crashes during initialization.  The panic can be reproduced by simply "modprobe raid6".  The crashed vmcore can be downloaded here: https://goo.gl/r0XgxN and some relevant system info are included as attachments.

I am not sure if this report belongs here or centos-devel; just curious about why such kernel module get inserted when running rpm-ostree.

This is a generic issue with grub2's "os-prober", which currently will be rerun any time a kernel is changed.  It scans all block devices for operating system installs.   At some point we'll likely change ostree to suppress this but it requires some rework in grub2.

That said, `modprobe raid6` (and hence `rpm-ostree install` etc.) work for me (vagrant-libvirt on F25 workstation).  I thinking there must be some sort of local environmental issue here, but I don't have a lot of great ideas as to what that could be offhand.