Re: [atomic-devel] How to apply non-atomic tuned profiles to atomic host

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Scott Dodson <sdodson redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Jason DeTiberus <jdetiber redhat com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Jeremy Eder <jeder redhat com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Right now we've got the tuned package in the base atomic content.  There
>> are atomic-host and atomic-guest tuned profiles which are currently
>> identical to the atomic-openshift ones.  We'd like to make a change to the
>> atomic-openshift-node/master profiles (which are distributed with the
>> openshift product).
>>
>> Going fwd, I think we would rather not maintain two locations (atomic-*
>> and atomic-openshift-* tuned profiles with identical content.
>>
>> So, trying to reason a way to get those profiles onto an AH since we can't
>> install the tuned-atomic-openshift RPM...We could copy them to /etc/tuned
>> and enable them manually...but I'm not sure that jives with how we're
>> supposed to use AH and it seems kind of hacky since there would be "orphan
>> files" in /etc.  Thoughts?
>

> With a sufficiently recent version of atomic host, you could use layered
> packages:
> http://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2016/08/new-centos-atomic-host-with-package-layering-support/

Is that a solution we want to support OCP customers on?

I don't see why not. As we go down the path of reducing the size of atomic host, we'll need to install dependencies that may not make sense to deploy containerized (storage dependencies for example), so package layering seems like the proper place to manage those dependencies. I would view the tuned profiles in the same way.

--
Jason DeTiberus