[atomic-devel] Btrfs + overlayfs

This is a followup to this:

Figure out comprehensive strategy for atomic host container storage
https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issue/281

I said I'd post something to the Btrfs devel list about combining
Btrfs and overlayfs; and I got back a couple interesting replies
including, "We've been running Btrfs with Docker at appreciable scale
for a few months now (100-200k containers  / day )"

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg67308.html

Also, installing
Fedora-Workstation-ostree-x86_64-Rawhide-20170714.n.0.iso then
converting to Btrfs still uses overlayfs for all the rpm-ostree
related commands that add in layers; so I've been using that
combination on a test machine and didn't realize it until now, and I
haven't had any problems so far.

Anyway, in the pagure issue mentioned above, what keeps coming up are
a bunch of complexities with partitioning, LVM, and fs resizing
limitations. All of the mentioned dilemmas go away with Btrfs. The one
dilemma Btrfs adds is quota support is definitely still a work in
progress, sometimes bringing performance penalties with bigger file
systems. This is better qualified in the spinics message.

--
Chris Murphy