Re: [atomic-devel] Newbie atomic questions

On 04/19/2018 05:03 PM, Chad Tindel wrote:

Hi Chad

> 1.  I do a packer build and inside that packer build I add a new systemd service at /etc/systemd/system/update_route53_mapping.service and I systemctl enable update_route53_mapping as well.
>
> I can see that that is done correctly in the packer output.

I not as familiar with packer. Does it run a kickstart install?

> However when the system boots, it's like none of that ever happened.  I realize that /usr is immutable and resets when you reboot it unless you change the ostree but I thought according to your blogs that /etc was writeable and changes persisted.

/etc/ is writable. The problem is you are probably modifying /etc/ in an
install environment so things are a bit tricky. If it's in a kickstart
then make sure you are making changes in the %post. One example is how
we do it to create Atomic Host cloud images:

https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/blob/f28/f/fedora-atomic.ks#_65

> I feel like I'm misunderstanding something basic.  Can you help me out?

we can try :)

> 2.  How do I install docker-compose in a way that it will persist across reboots given that "atomic install docker-compose" doesn't work?

`rpm-ostree install <rpm-name> && reboot` should work.