Re: [atomic-devel] Fedora Atomic Workstation questions

Definitely. We think about this often and want to come up with a good solution. Some of those conversations have happened in #405 starting here: https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/issues/405#issuecomment-342985721

>     To date we haven't really explored this option as much. I have talked about it with Colin before and I like to call this type of container a 'host context' container. The idea is pretty much everything is shared with the host as well as a small overlay of packages that are specific to the current context you are in. You could have many contexts. Either way there will still be parts in each context that would still need to be updated/managed.
>

> At the moment, I can have auto-updates for my host system and for my Flatpaks, but there's no real mechanism to update containers. I assume people will not be happy if we just automatically run "dnf update" inside all their containers, but if you have a lot of "contexts" you'll have to update all of them yourself.
> I'm not sure what's the best approach here, but ideally I think the aim should be for as little "maintenance overhead" as possible. If you have to maintain your pet containers and update them manually, you're either going to spend a lot of time on this, or not bother at all and run insecure software.

Yeah. as little maintenance as possible would be nice. In the Host contexts that mostly builds on rpm-ostree you would package layer files into each context, which could then be managed by rpm-ostree on the host itself. If it's just `dnf install` instead then it gets trickier, but could be doable.

Regarding the 'my pet container is out of date' comment, If you think about it today if you have your host and you do some development in a VM (like via vagrant), then you still have to update both the host and the VM, so not much lost there. I realize, though that this conversation is about how we make things better :).

> Building on this "contexts" idea, maybe a "context" could be some sort of a "managed container"  that will be automatically updated when you update your host (both via graphical or cli tools)? Or at least give you a message when you switch into that context suggesting you install security updates.

+1. I agree

That would be cool. Maybe checkout toolbox from CoreOS to see if it will aid us in this journey: https://github.com/coreos/toolbox

> In case this is not clear, I'm not asking these questions just because I just want to *use* Atomic Workstation, but also because I want to contribute and help make it better.

That's awesome. We're glad to have you in the community. We have weekly meetings and we hang out in IRC in #atomic on freenode. Come find us!