Re: [atomic-devel] Kubernetes System containers for Fedora 28 atomic?

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Kevin Browder <kbrowder gmail com> wrote:
> http://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2018/05/fedora-atomic-27-to-28-upgrade/
> says
> "You can still install Kubernetes via package layering, or you can use
> system containers to run kubernetes fully containerized. Please check out
> Jason Brooks’ series (links coming soon) on this topic."

The problem w/ this is that the system containers work in the context
of these ansible scripts:
https://github.com/kubernetes/contrib/tree/master/ansible which were
active at the time of f26 --> f27, but which have since been
deprecated. So... while you can install the system containers, and the
scripts do still work (there may be a tweak or two required) they've
been abandoned upstream.

This procedure, from the last upgrade cycle, still basically works:
http://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2017/11/migrating-kubernetes-on-fedora-atomic-host-27/

I favor using package layering and kubeadm like this:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Jasonbrooks/QA/AtomicTests/Install_Kubeadm

For a more complex setup, I recommend using openshift origin with
https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible

> I tried:
> atomic install --system --system-package=no --name kubernetes-node
> registry.fedoraproject.org/f28/kubernetes-node
>
> Which goes fine, but I get get:
> May 22 21:28:08 mypc runc[1464]: container_linux.go:348: starting container
> process caused "exec: \"run.sh\": executable file not found in $PATH"
> May 22 21:28:08 mypc systemd[1]: kubernetes-node.service: Main process
> exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
> May 22 21:28:08 mypc runc[1612]: container "kubernetes-node" does not exist
> May 22 21:28:08 mypc systemd[1]: kubernetes-node.service: Control process
> exited, code=exited status=1
> May 22 21:28:08 mypc systemd[1]: kubernetes-node.service: Failed with result
> 'exit-code'.
> May 22 21:28:08 mypc systemd[1]: kubernetes-node.service: Service hold-off
> time over, scheduling restart.
> May 22 21:28:08 mypc systemd[1]: kubernetes-node.service: Scheduled restart
> job, restart counter is at 5.
>
> When the service attempts to start (systemctl start kubernetes-node)

kubernetes-node is a parent image of kubernetes-kubelet and
kubernetes-proxy, and not meant to work on its own, and that's why
you're seeing this.

> Is there a tl;dr for installing kubernetes-node and kubernetes-master using
> system containers on fedora 28?
>
> Also what's the relevant code for these things?  I mean if i see
> registry.fedoraproject.org/f28/kubernetes-node on
> https://registry.fedoraproject.org/ I assume there's some git repo somewhere
> containing the configuration for that right?  I'm curious how these things
> work....

The source for fedora lives at:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/container/kubernetes-apiserver (-node
-kubelet, etc) upstream for these is at