Re: [atomic-devel] Fedora Atomic Host Nearing End Of Life

On 11/25/19 11:41 AM, Normand wrote:

> On 11/21/19 11:33 PM, Dusty Mabe wrote:
>> This content also exists at: https://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2019/11/fedora-atomic-host-nearing-eol/
>>
>> Last year we [introduced the plans for Fedora CoreOS] [1] including that
>> Fedora CoreOS would be the successor to Fedora Atomic Host and Container
>> Linux (from CoreOS Inc.). As part of that succession plan we decided that
>> Fedora 29 Atomic Host would be the last stream of Fedora Atomic Host to be
>> released.
>>
>> Fedora 29 Atomic Host has served us well, but with Fedora 29 End of
>> Life coming soon [2], so will the last release of Fedora 29 Atomic Host.
>> The next release of Fedora 29 Atomic Host (in the next few weeks) will be
>> the last two-week release. It will contain all of the latest content
>> from Fedora 29. After that release, Fedora 29, and Fedora 29 Atomic
>> Host will no longer receive any updates.
>>
>> Please try out the Fedora CoreOS preview to help us get it towards
>> stable. Documentation and download links can be found at https://getfedora.org/coreos/
>>
>> The Atomic Host Team
>>
>> [1] https://fedoramagazine.org/announcing-fedora-coreos/
>> [2] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel lists fedoraproject org/message/VUK3CJ5LO4ROUH3JTCDVHYAVVYAOCU62/
>>

> Thanks for the info,
>
> But what about arches that are not x86_64 ?
> Where could we found for exemple the ppc64le coreos replacement of
> Atomic Host ? Is there already a web page to retrieve them ?

Hi Normand,

Thank you for bringing this up. You have indeed pointed out a gap in what we're currently
delivering with Fedora CoreOS preview and what we were delivering with Atomic Host. The good
news is that we have done enablement work to allow for Fedora CoreOS to be run on other
platforms. The bad news is that we don't currently run our build infrastructure in an environment
that has other architectures available.

So while you can build it yourself today, there is currently no where to download it from the Fedora
website. I have added Jakub Cajka who was working on getting some space to host unofficial builds of
Fedora CoreOS for other architectures for now. I'll also link you to our open issues where we're working
through our strategy for delivering multi-arch FCOS:

    - https://github.com/coreos/fedora-coreos-tracker/issues/262
    - https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/8370

- Dusty