name that package/tree system!

Naming things is hard.

"Docker" is a really great name.  First, it's unique and cool.  It's short enough to type often, and it wins on Google.  Also crucially, it's *meaningful* via analogy to containers.  A set of qualities that are hard to find.

Now, "rpm-ostree" is moderately short, it's meaningful in a technical sense, and Google'able...but it's not very cool.  It also doesn't have a meaningful analogy.

I've been thinking a bit about new names.  One thread was Solaris has "IPS" which is on the second page of Google, but in context is clear enough.  I like the expansion to "Image Packaging System".

We could go for "rts" (RPM tree system) "tps" (tree package system), but really...3 letter acronyms are far too overloaded.

So what about playing off the "Atomic" theme?  I could just call it "fusion" (since it's bringing together the world of packages and trees), but that would make it very difficult to find via Google.  Or for that matter, another atomic-related name like "atom".  At least in Fedora there's no /usr/bin/atom yet =)

We could just prepend a letter like "rfusion" or "ratom" (which both still have a lot of hits).

Ooh!  We could make "Atomic Packages and Trees", or "apt" for short.   That wouldn't be confusing at all...

Hmm..."fpt" actually doesn't have that much conflicting ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPT ), and it'd be short for "fusion of packages and trees".  I kind of like that.  But it's back to a TLA.

Other ideas welcome. If this is successful you'll be typing it a lot, so keep that in mind =)