Re: [atomic-devel] RFE: please add ipa-client to base atomic image

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 01:07 PM, Anthony Green wrote:
> Please add ipa-client to the base atomic image so users can run ipa-client-install in order to hook into existing identity/authentication/DNS/etc infrastructure.

So, right now we unfortunately don't have any kind of formal process for this.  I've been meaning to write something up as a a strawman, it would go something like:

- Is the package something needed by a large percentage (80%) of the target userbase?  (And specifically for Atomic - remember "mainline" systems will continue to be available)
- Is the package necessary for early system setup?  (For example, cloud-init couldn't reasonably be a container pulled later on, as you need it to configure networking)
- Does the package bring in a lot of new dependencies or expose network ports on the host?
- How difficult would it be to split the package into parts and have part on the host, part in a container?