Re: [atomic-devel] RFE: please add ipa-client to base atomic image

On 11/25/2014 11:16 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 01:07 PM, Anthony Green wrote:
>> Please add ipa-client to the base atomic image so users can run ipa-client-install in order to hook into existing identity/authentication/DNS/etc infrastructure.
>
> So, right now we unfortunately don't have any kind of formal process for this.  I've been meaning to write something up as a a strawman, it would go something like:
>
> - Is the package something needed by a large percentage (80%) of the target userbase?  (And specifically for Atomic - remember "mainline" systems will continue to be available)
> - Is the package necessary for early system setup?  (For example, cloud-init couldn't reasonably be a container pulled later on, as you need it to configure networking)
> - Does the package bring in a lot of new dependencies or expose network ports on the host?
> - How difficult would it be to split the package into parts and have part on the host, part in a container?

So there's two things: we haven't formalized any sort of governance for
Project Atomic, but we do have governance for Fedora and CentOS that
dictate package selection somewhat.

We have the host definition that the projects can use to sync with us
(being "Project Atomic" in this case) but it's not mandatory. But some
things are dictated by policy in Fedora, for example, too.

We should probably discuss, soon, how we want to handle managing the
host definition though.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst
jzb redhat com | http://community.redhat.com/