Re: [atomic-devel] [fedora-atomic f23] remove Python source files

On 12/01/2015 07:36 AM, Giuseppe Scrivano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was experimenting with reducing the size of the Atomic Host image and
> it seems that a lot of space is used by Python source files.
>
> I had to deal differently with the two versions as Python 3 handles
> source-less distributions in a different way than Python 2.
>
> Python 2 simply loads the *.pyc file when the *.py file is missing.
>
> Python 3 requires an additional step, as it puts the precompiled version
> under the __pycache__ directory, but it expects the file to be one level
> upper when the source file is missing:
>
> /foo/__pycache__/test.cpython-34.pyo -> /foo/test.pyc
>

> This patch reduces the used disk space by around 55 MB.
>
> Any comments?

So - if we're talking about doing this for the Fedora release(s) we
should probably make sure to have the cloud list in the discussion as well.

One question, apologies if it's uninformed - if we did this, is there
the possibility of running into bugs that other users of the same
packages would not hit?

I'd be concerned that if we're stripping something out specifically for
Atomic after a build step that we might create some hard-to-troubleshoot
issues for packagers who maintain any/all of the Python packages in
question. I'm all for slimming down the Atomic images, but preferably in
a way where we're helping to slim down things overall. (Or maybe this
wouldn't be an issue?)

Best,

jzb
--