Re: [atomic-devel] [fedora-atomic f23] remove Python source files

On 8 December 2015 at 07:08, Joe Brockmeier <jzb redhat com> wrote:
> So - if we're talking about doing this for the Fedora release(s) we
> should probably make sure to have the cloud list in the discussion as well.
>
> One question, apologies if it's uninformed - if we did this, is there
> the possibility of running into bugs that other users of the same
> packages would not hit?

There is - the rest of the thread goes into more details.

> I'd be concerned that if we're stripping something out specifically for
> Atomic after a build step that we might create some hard-to-troubleshoot
> issues for packagers who maintain any/all of the Python packages in
> question. I'm all for slimming down the Atomic images, but preferably in
> a way where we're helping to slim down things overall. (Or maybe this
> wouldn't be an issue?)

There's one trick we discussed that I think is actually fairly safe:
using hard links to share the same set of compiled files for normal
execution and -O, rather than having two copies. Assuming the "-O"
files are used, then any asserts and "if __debug__:" blocks in the
system provided libraries would get skipped even in the non-optimised
case.

For -OO, I think we should recommend that anyone considering using -OO
for a Python app is likely to the point where they may also want to
consider rolling their own base container.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncoghlan gmail com   |   Brisbane, Australia