Re: [atomic-devel] How to handle crashes

>On Thursday 12 of February 2015 11:17:29 Colin Walters wrote:

>>On Thu, Feb 12, 2015, at 10:53 AM, Colin Walters wrote:
>>> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015, at 03:34 AM, Jakub Filak wrote:

>>> The second idea is to put some core bits of ABRT directly to Atomic Host. My plan is to factor out ABRT's core_pattern helper (the thing we put to /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern; man 5 core) that could be installed on Atomic host and create an image shipping the rest of ABRT stack. The footprint of such a design would be barely remarkable, but implementing it would ensure availability of debugging information in all cases.

>> There was some work on having ABRT pick up crashes from systemd-coredump; is that still a work in progress?
>> Basically it would make sense to me for there to be an agent on the host to collect crashes

> ...and have analysis/upload hooks into a container.  Basically python-bugzilla and the like should be in a container.  And have a graceful fallback if the analysis/upload container isn't running.

The ABRT core_pattern helper creates a new sub-directory in /var/tmp/abrt directory for each detected crash. The subdirectory contains infomation similar to what systemd-coredump stores in journald. There is a daemon (abrtd) that uses inotify to detect new sub-directories in /var/tmp/abrt and run its post-mortem processing on that (save package data, ...).

> The host -> container hooks is going to be an interesting aspect of this.  Maybe the simplest is for the host agent to have a configuration file naming the image to use for analysis?  E.g.

> /etc/abrt.conf on the host has:

> ForwardToContainer=registry.fedoraproject.org/abrt

The current core_pattern helper requires abrtd running. I've added a configuration option to suppress that requirement. So the core_pattern helper can be used without abrtd, but it will create directories which can be processed by abrtd when an admin starts the abrt container.