Re: [atomic-devel] go1.4 requirement

On 17/03/15 16:28 -0400, Tim St Clair wrote:
We're going to have to eat the update at some point, is there a reason to hold off (other then churn)?

Golang holds itself to a forward compatibility. So if code was strictly
written to go1.3, then it will compile and run fine on >= go1.4

I've made other updates to golang mid-stream of fedora releases. Like
go1.2 -> go1.3, but that was largely just improvements.

go1.3 -> go1.4 they axed a bunch of stuff from ./misc/ like emacs modes,
vim support, etc. The existing packages for go1.3 won't line up. So
fedora users that have them installed, would get a broken experience.

It is something just intricate enough that I'm inclined to avoid where
possible.

vb

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vincent Batts" <vbatts redhat com>
To: atomic-devel projectatomic io, "Eric Paris" <eparis redhat com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:50:13 PM
Subject: [atomic-devel] go1.4 requirement

I see that upstream etcd is now requiring go1.4
https://github.com/coreos/etcd/issues/2524

Docker has churned on this for a while, but I have staved them off since
upgrading f20, f21 and epel6 to go1.4 would deprecate a few packages
(bash completion, emacs and vim editor files, etc) and this is not
something I care to push mid stream.

The `net/http` BasicAuth is pretty small
https://golang.org/src/net/http/request.go?s=16575:16641#L518
and seems like it _could_ be easily backported, though there are other
nice improvements to move forward to go1.4 for. And I'm not keen on
backporting things where an upgrade of version would be easier...

Thoughts?
vb

--
Cheers,