Re: [atomic-devel] Anyone working on using ProjectAtomic for the desktop?

On Sat, May 09, 2015 at 07:33:43PM -0400, James wrote:
> > I'm suprised that nobody mentioned that GNOME folks are working on
> > desktop containers
> > https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2014/07/10/desktop-containers-the-way-forward/
> > https://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2015/02/17/first-fully-sandboxed-linux-desktop-app/
> Agreed... I'm a big fan of the work Alex Larsson is doing, and I think
> that is the correct way to proceed.

Cool, I'm glad y'all brought that up. I've talked with the desktop team
about Atomic/LinuxApps convergence, and right now, they feel like the
problem space is just too different for the same solution to work in
both cases. My hope, though, is that:

* underlying technology can be shared, including defaulting to doing
  things the same way when presented with multiple possible approaches
  which *could* work

* interfaces, apis, commandlines, etc, act the same whenever possible

There's a lot of interest in possibly delivering Fedora Workstation's
base layer with rpm-ostree, so that's a concrete example. I'd love to
see the container/sandbox image delivery format be shared as well — and
maybe it'd be constructive to have some talks with Alex about Nulecule?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm fedoraproject org>