Re: [atomic-devel] Proposal for default qcow2 image virtual size 10G instead of 6G

On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 12:58:58PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015, at 12:50 PM, Vivek Goyal wrote:
>
> > Virtual size of qcow2 f22 atomic size is 6G.
>
> This comes from https://pagure.io/releng/blob/master/f/scripts/build-cloud-images#_93
>
> Now, one important thing about the cloud image is that via cloud-init it supports dynamic extension of the drive.  The primary use case is in IaaS - OpenStack, AWS etc.  These systems will typically let you choose at boot time to use 10G, 20G, 160G or whatever you want, and growpart/cloud-init will extend the drive.  docker-storage-setup then kicks in and balances things between the host and Docker.
>
> If you're booting the cloud image in bare libvirt...welll, this type of thing
> is better covered by Vagrant.  (And the Vagrant box is 40G, for this reason):
> https://pagure.io/releng/blob/master/f/scripts/build-cloud-images#_114
>
> If you still want to use raw libvirt, I have a really stupid script here:
>
> https://github.com/cgwalters/homegit/blob/master/bin/walters-create-cloud-vm

Colin,

I don't use vagrant and I just take qcow image and import it using
virt-manager. Following instructions here.

http://www.projectatomic.io/docs/quickstart/

So for this use case giving a better default size image might not be a
bad idea. In fact even 20G default virtual size might be better if
one wants to do something meaningful.

Thanks
Vivek