Re: [atomic-devel] Running docker-storage-setup from a UI

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 03:09:08PM +0300, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on this:
>
>     https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/wiki/Atomic:-Docker-Storage
>
> which is basically a UI inside Cockpit for docker-storage-setup.
>
> I am not super far along, but I am getting to the point where the UI
> will need to actually run docker-storage-setup.
>
> - My basic idea is to write a new /etc/sysconfig/docker-storage-setup
>   file and then run docker-storage-setup.  Is that the best approach for
>   a UI?
>
> - Docker-storage-setup needs to run non-interactively, but I think it
>   can't do that right now, and asks confirmation for various things.

It already runs non-interactively. It is a service which runs on boot.

>   Would it be acceptable to add a "--force-wipe" option to d-s-s, and
>   maybe others?  I can do that at the same time as I write the code for
>   the UI.

So --force-wipe is a new functionality. What will it do?

> - Just showing the contents of /etc/sysconfig/docker-storage-setup in
>   the UI as the current state of things is not really correct, since
>   docker-storage-setup might not have run since it was last changed, or
>   it might have failed.
>
>   So I am thinking there could be something like
>
>     # docker-storage-setup status
>     /dev/vda: ok, shared with OS
>     /dev/sda: ok
>     /dev/sdb: Not yet set up!
>
>     The Docker storage pool is not fully set up.  Run
>     "docker-storage-setup" to complete the set up.

I think first what would be nice is to display current docker
configuration.

What does "shared with OS" mean? Does it mean, it is in same volume
group where rootfs is?

>   This would output information about how things should be, and how they
>   actually are.  (With an option for machine readable output.)  The
>   above would be for VG="" and DEVS="/dev/sda /dev/sdb" where there was
>   some sort of problem with /dev/sdb.
>
>   The machine readable output could maybe look like
>
>     # docker-storage-setup status -M
>     /dev/vda:root

What does "root" mean?

>     /dev/sda:

What does empty string after /dev/sda mean?

Thanks
Vivek