Re: [atomic-devel] Running docker-storage-setup from a UI

On 04/12/2016 03:50 PM, Vivek Goyal wrote:
On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 03:09:08PM +0300, Marius Vollmer wrote:
Hi,

I am working on this:

     https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/wiki/Atomic:-Docker-Storage

which is basically a UI inside Cockpit for docker-storage-setup.

I am not super far along, but I am getting to the point where the UI
will need to actually run docker-storage-setup.

- My basic idea is to write a new /etc/sysconfig/docker-storage-setup
   file and then run docker-storage-setup.  Is that the best approach for
   a UI?

- Docker-storage-setup needs to run non-interactively, but I think it
   can't do that right now, and asks confirmation for various things.
It already runs non-interactively. It is a service which runs on boot.

   Would it be acceptable to add a "--force-wipe" option to d-s-s, and
   maybe others?  I can do that at the same time as I write the code for
   the UI.
So --force-wipe is a new functionality. What will it do?

- Just showing the contents of /etc/sysconfig/docker-storage-setup in
   the UI as the current state of things is not really correct, since
   docker-storage-setup might not have run since it was last changed, or
   it might have failed.

   So I am thinking there could be something like

     # docker-storage-setup status
     /dev/vda: ok, shared with OS
     /dev/sda: ok
     /dev/sdb: Not yet set up!

     The Docker storage pool is not fully set up.  Run
     "docker-storage-setup" to complete the set up.
I think first what would be nice is to display current docker
configuration.

What does "shared with OS" mean? Does it mean, it is in same volume
group where rootfs is?

   This would output information about how things should be, and how they
   actually are.  (With an option for machine readable output.)  The
   above would be for VG="" and DEVS="/dev/sda /dev/sdb" where there was
   some sort of problem with /dev/sdb.

   The machine readable output could maybe look like

     # docker-storage-setup status -M
     /dev/vda:root
What does "root" mean?

     /dev/sda:
What does empty string after /dev/sda mean?

Thanks
Vivek

     /dev/sdb:error=missing

   Or should we go full JSON right away?

What do you think?  Am I heading down the wrong path?  If nobody stops
me, I'll hopefully make some PRs soon for this, and we can discuss the
details there.
Eventually adding a feature to do an `atomic migrate` to move from back end to another would be nice

With docker-1.10 you can do an

atomic migrate export

Change the back end

atomic migrate import

And switch from loopback devices to devmapper on physical storage or even switch the backends altogether.

From devmapper to overlayfs to btrfs  and back again.