Re: [atomic-devel] Running docker-storage-setup from a UI

Elvir Kuric <ekuric redhat com> writes:

> I had same dilemma in past when I wanted to make d-s-s to wipe out all
> on device specified in DEVS section in /etc/sysconfig/docker-storage,
> however I think option to stop d-s-s if it detects fs signature is
> security warning for case when someone by mistake specify wrong device
> in /etc/sysconfig/docker-storage-setup. If --force-wipe ( or wipefs -a
> ) is used in d-s-s then it would delete all on device no matter is it
> correct device or not.

Yes, but normally people wouldn't use --force-wipe.

Also, the concrete prompt that I got from pvcreate was pretty bogus, and
I would now say it's just a bug.  Here is how to get it, roughly:

 - Take a fresh hard drive out of the bag, call it /dev/sda.
 - Create a single partition /dev/sda1 on it and format it with xfs (say).
 - Wipe /dev/sda so that th partition table and /dev/sda1 disappear.
 - Give /dev/sda to d-s-s via DEVS="/dev/sda"

Now d-s-s will recreate the partition /dev/sda1 and it so happens that
the first block of the partition still has the xfs signature on it.
Pvcreate will find that signature and ask for confirmation to wipe it.