[atomic-devel] How does rpm-ostree pick the architecture and repositories it uses?

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong list, but I figured it was close enough to be relevant.

I'm attempting to package rpm-ostree in Nix and have been running into assorted annoying issues with it. The latest is that given the same treefile and repository definitions, on different hosts (both x86_64), my packaged rpm-ostree seems to decide to install a different set of packages.

The treefile/.repo file specifies CentOS-base, -updates, and extras, among other repositories. On one machine (host = NixOS), it prints out a big pile of x86_64 packages, installs them, and otherwise builds fine. On another machine with a different host distro (CentOS 7), it (libsolv I believe) prints out that:

  glibc-2.17-105.el7.i686 requires libfreebl3.so, but none of the providers can be installed

On the successful build machine, we instead install glibc-2.17-106.el7_2.4.x86_64.

You'll note that not only did we pick different releases of glibc, but they're for different architectures (x86_64 vs i686). I realize that the architectures are compatible with one another, but I'm not clear on how rpm-ostree is making the choice of architecture.

Furthermore, I noticed that the unsuccessful glibc-2.17-105.el7.i686 package is coming from the CentOS-base repository for 7.2.1511, whereas the successful glibc-2.17-106.el7_2.4.x86_64 package comes from CentOS-updates repository for the same release. Given that both are available at once, how is rpm-ostree picking one over the other? And why does that choice differ across my two machines?

I'm deliberately trying to keep these questions at a fairly high level because I'm probably just misunderstanding something, but if you think it's a bug I can give instructions for how to reproduce and file an issue.

Thanks,
Dan