Re: [atomic-devel] Fedora 26 change: using overlayfs as default

On 12/12/2016 05:41 PM, Jason Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Dusty Mabe <dusty dustymabe com> wrote:

>>> This makes sense as the default for the docker package for non-atomic
>>> fedora, since the alternative is loopback storage -- are you
>>> suggesting this as a change for the atomic host as well? If so, what's
>>> the rationale there?
>>>

>> I think the rationale is that we'd like to not have a much different
>> experience whether you are using docker on atomic host or not. My
>> thoughts are that overlay is where we want to be in the future and
>> Fedora is the first place we should try that out.
>
> It's a matter of choosing harmonization on non-atomic and atomic
> fedora at the cost of harmonization between centos/rhel/fedora atomic
> hosts, so there's gain and loss there, but if overlay is where we want
> to be in the future (I assume "we" is Red Hat?) it makes sense to get
> on with it.

I wasn't really referring to "we" as Red Hat, although that may be
true. I was more going for "we" as the community, simply because IMHO
the whole DM loopback thing has been a source of quite a bit of pain
with respects to understanding and also "set up" costs and it's not
something people have had to do on other platforms I don't think.

The may drag with overlay in the past has been SELinux. That should be
fixed now, so let's hammer on it and see if we can break it!!

Dusty