Re: [atomic-devel] Reducing the footprint of the Fedora docker base image

On 02/10/2016 05:13 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 02/10/2016 11:38 AM, Courtney Pacheco wrote:
>> If possible, I'd like some feedback on the work I did. Comments and
>> criticism are more than welcomed! I realize there may be some
>> controversy in terms of what I chose to remove and what I chose to turn
>> into weak dependencies, but I would like to hear your thoughts either
>> way.
>>

> First, thanks for doing this!  It really shows a lot.  I'd be really
> curious as to what's in the remaining 144MB, given that Alpine and
> BusyBox can get away with a userspace which is 25% of that size.

Well busybox supplies almost all of the executables in coreutils,
shadow-utils  and a few other packages, as links to the same executable,
right there you are going to see a lot of savings.

The next step to shrinking would be to look for a few FAT apps,

Run
du -am | sort -n
And see what big files are in the container image, can we eliminate any?
Shrink any?