Re: [atomic-devel] Reducing the footprint of the Fedora docker base image

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016, at 05:08 AM, Daniel Riek wrote:

* Enable mounting containers as volumes (unless I am mistaken, right now we can only mount host directories as volumes? Might be wrong)

This is:
https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/7115

The thing that gets really messy is, sure you can mount another container
with dnf or whatever at /build/dnf, but everything that is used as part of a build
needs to be effectively statically linked.  Or alternatively, compute a union of files in /usr/bin.  But
then you have to look for *new files* that the build may have dropped in /usr/bin,
while still deleting files from the union from the build.

The rpm-ostree container approach to this is that builds always output rpms,
except it runs as non-root, (and we can make that *much* faster than a simple aggregation of yum install + docker)
but it also supports aggregating them into final images.