Re: [atomic-devel] Smaller fedora & centos images

Try fake runtime which provides systemd (fake one indeed).

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016, 11:55 PM Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016, at 01:57 PM, Micah Abbott wrote:
> On 06/20/2016 09:38 AM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> > Have we published any comparisons of an Alpine image "fully loaded"
> > (e.g., with the actual tools) vs. Fedora, etc.? AIUI, when you actually
> > install things like Apache httpd, or whatnot the comparison looks much
> > closer.
>
> I hacked up some quick Dockerfiles for this particular example (httpd)
> and the end result is that alpine was still smaller - 8.652 MB vs. 232.8 MB

The largest chunk of this is that the httpd RPM pulls in systemd, and that's
going to be true presently for a lot of our RPMs.  So that's a whole subthread to this.

It'd be possible to teach micro-yuminst to just ignore requirements
on specific packages like systemd, while still allowing anyone who explicitly
wants them to pull them in.