Re: [atomic-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Lokesh Mandvekar
<lsm5 fedoraproject org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 08:47:12AM -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>> > I built an atomic image with docker and docker-latest, uncommented the
>> > line `DOCKERBINARY=/usr/bin/docker-latest` in `/etc/sysconfig/docker`,
>> > and restarted the docker service, and then `sudo docker info`
>> > returned:
>> >
>> > Error response from daemon: client is newer than server (client API
>> > version: 1.22, server API version: 1.21)
>> >
>> > Then it occurred to me to stop the docker service and start the
>> > docker-latest service, and that seemed to work fine. We definitely
>> > need docs around this.
>> >
>> > One thing that occurs to me is that 1.10 isn't the latest docker...
>> >
>> > Jason
>> It is the latest supported docker.  :^)  I am not sure if we will ever ship
>> docker-1.11.  Has a lot of warts.
>> Most of its fixes are going into docker-1.12.
>>
>> I agree docker and docker-latest is not the best solution, and sadly we are
>> learning on the fly.
>
> Resuming this thread so I get some direction to proceed with.
>
> So, docker in Virt SIG used to be Fedora rpms recompiled. But, the
> requirement for multi-docker installation on RHEL made us feel the need to
> try it out on Virt SIG as well.
>
> The RH patchset will be the same for both Fedora and RHEL, just that RHEL
> could have approaches (like docker and docker-latest)
> Fedora would never agree to.
>
> I'd like to zero in on a single approach moving forward.
>
> So, pick one. CentOS Virt SIG docker will have:
>
> 1. Fedora rpm rebuilt
> OR
> 2. RHEL rpms (docker + docker-latest) rebuilt (consider it a preview or
> something before official release)
> OR
> 3. Something else, maybe both Fedora and RHEL versions clearly separated by
> koji tags

If there's a way to get access to what will be in CentOS Extras before
it arrives there, that'd be helpful for testing.

If Fedora has a newer version of docker than what's in CentOS Extras,
then that'd be helpful as well. 1.11 is in rawhide now, it'd be cool
to have that available, for instance.

If the CBS doesn't offer something newer than what's in Extras, then
I'd just choose what's in Extras.