[atomic-devel] Fwd: Re: Who can do Slack?

Resending as I somehow dropped the list

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [atomic-devel] Who can do Slack?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 15:55:25 +0100
From: Brian (bex) Exelbierd <bex pobox com>
To: Brandon Jozsa <bjozsa gmail com>

On 03/24/2016 01:04 AM, Brandon Jozsa wrote:
I just consider several slack groups as a way of life now
(unfortunately). But using the integrations with IRC or the Desktop
app...it doesn't even phase me anymore; it's all consolidated and is
nearly the same as starting up my IRC client and connecting to different
channels across Freenode and OFTC.

The web and mobile interfaces are somewhat unpleasant with multiple
communities, but I don't see that as a show-stopper.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Justin Garrison
<justin garrison disneyanimation com
<mailto:justin garrison disneyanimation com>> wrote:

    On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 7:50 AM,
    <atomic-devel-request projectatomic io
    <mailto:atomic-devel-request projectatomic io>> wrote:

        So we want to have a presence on Slack in order to reach users and
        developers who don't do IRC or email so much.  However, this
        only makes
        sense if several of us are willing to log into the channel every
        day.

        Who's up for it?  Note that you can use many IRC clients to log
        in, once
        you've set up an account.

    ​As someone involved with the community please don't set up a new
    slack group. I already have 7 slack groups and it is very annoying
    to have to join another one for each project I want to be a part of.
    Each one has different level of activity and rules for engagement
    (when to use @channel, if you can post to #general, who can create
    rooms, etc.)

    More arguments can be found at
    https://drewdevault.com/2015/11/01/Please-stop-using-slack.html
    ​
    ​I could see atomic having a sig-* group in the k8s slack or maybe a
    separate atomic-* heading to rooms but a new slack instance would be
    annoying. Being a part of the k8s slack could also help users
    leverage more general information from a broader community.

Do we need a level of awareness for parts of the project that aren't
directly involved with Kube?

regards,

bex

    -- Justin