Re: [atomic-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

On 05/09/2016 08:18 PM, Jason Brooks wrote:
On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Lokesh Mandvekar <lsm5 fedoraproject org> wrote:
**CentOS Virt SIG**

What:
- 'docker' (v1.9) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10878
- 'docker-latest' (v1.10) http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=10881
- both can be installed simultaneously and don't step on each other's toes,
   but only one can run at a time.
- /usr/bin/docker is a script which execs /usr/bin/docker-current (v1.9) or
   /usr/bin/docker-latest (v1.10) based on what $DOCKERBINARY is set to.

Why:
- some people want v1.9 (that includes kube and openshift iiuc)
- others want later versions
- people also want to switch between versions without having to
   install/uninstall/reinstall
I built an atomic image with docker and docker-latest, uncommented the
line `DOCKERBINARY=/usr/bin/docker-latest` in `/etc/sysconfig/docker`,
and restarted the docker service, and then `sudo docker info`
returned:

Error response from daemon: client is newer than server (client API
version: 1.22, server API version: 1.21)

Then it occurred to me to stop the docker service and start the
docker-latest service, and that seemed to work fine. We definitely
need docs around this.

One thing that occurs to me is that 1.10 isn't the latest docker...

Jason
It is the latest supported docker. :^) I am not sure if we will ever ship docker-1.11. Has a lot of warts.
Most of its fixes are going into docker-1.12.

I agree docker and docker-latest is not the best solution, and sadly we are learning on the fly.

Comments?
--
Lokesh
Freenode: lsm5