Re: [atomic-devel] Atomic Workstation development work

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 05:49:40PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/AtomicWorkstation
>   But I'd like to revisit this, since I want to argue strongly for adding
>   Docker to the mix.  I now use "pet" Docker containers for most of my
>   random software building/hacking, and I think this use case is
>   not really covered by flatpak, and installing build tools on the host
>   system I believe should be an explicit anti-pattern.

Did you see my post to the desktop list earlier today about Owen's
"Purple Egg" project? There must be something in the air right now. :)

>  - Fix the ostree management in Fedora (right now at-most-once-a-day
>    is far too slow for development and far too fast for most users, I
>    think it could make sense to do a two-week cadence (+async

This'd be like the "alpha" and "continuous" streams in CentOS?

Would it be possible to have the continuous stream in CentOS CI (or the
Fedora Jenkins instance, or triggered by taskotron, or whatever) and
the alpha-equivalent (the user facing view, basically) promotion cause
builds to fire off in Fedora releng infrastructure? (Just kind of
thinking out loud about the easiest way to get this done.)

>   we're planning for Atomic Host).  This will also enable static
>   deltas and make the experience more pleasant; see
>   https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/6313 In CentOS for Atomic
>   Host we use a "promotion" model.

I know Adam was working on that, but I'm not sure where it landed. I
know the layered image build stuff has continued to be 1000% more work
than initially expected. I think it might be the "Atomic ostree repo
management" item under Other in the status report here
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/StatusReport

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm fedoraproject org>