Re: [atomic-devel] How to handle crashes

Creating ABRT image is definitely possible. ABRT provides an D-Bus API for
accessing detected problems and it's possible to set up ABRT on nodes to
report detected problems to a central ABRT daemon.

The main difference between ABRT and node-problem-detector is that
node-problem-detector is tuned for running on a node, so it is aware of
stuff that ABRT does not know about.

ABRT is tuned for detecting problems like core dumps, python exceptions,
ruby exceptions, kernel oopses, MCEs etc. and bringing them to user's attention.

ABRT cannot detect unresponsive programs yet. But if someone tell us how to
do it or if we get a request to develop such a feature, we will do it.

ABRT is easily extensible, so adding new types of detect problems is just a
matter of finding a way how to detect them.

Do you have any idea how to start?

I played with docker and ABRT last year:
https://github.com/abrt/docker-abrt

And I've recently proved that we can use *nsenter* to run abrt's
core_pattern helper from a docker image:
https://github.com/abrt/abrt/wiki/ABRT-docker-image-experiments

And we can report Python exceptions from containers to ABRT container:
https://github.com/abrt/abrt/pull/1182

Regards,
Jakub