Re: [atomic-devel] Httpd vs. Containers

On 04/24/2017 10:43 AM, Micah Abbott wrote:
> On 04/21/2017 05:34 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I've been building some containers for our libraries, and I'm noticing
>> that there's a serious deficiency in the standard Fedora and CentOS
>> httpd packages for running them in a container, namely:
>>
>>     httpd doesn't log to journald
>>
>> Our default packages for httpd still log to /var/log/httpd/  This means
>> that not only can we not redirect the log output to the host (or
>> kubernetes), but the container itself will grow indefinitely due to
>> those log files.
>>
>> Given that the httpd packages should have been changed when Fedora and
>> CentOS switched to systemd, I'm guessing that there's something else
>> holding this back?
>>
>> What would people suggest is a good way to make our httpd RPMs usable in
>> containers?
>>

> Perhaps we should start using 'mod_journal'?
>
> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_journald.html

That leaves some questions unanswered:

1. Is there a *reason* we didn't relocate the HTTPD logs to Journald
when Fedora went Systemd?

2. How many other server packages do we have that don't log to Journald?

As we start containerizing our entire catalog, server software which
writes to anywhere other than systemd is going to become more and more
of an issue.  I'm trying to get a handle on the problem scope.

Josh Berkus
Project Atomic
Red Hat OSAS