Re: [atomic-devel] Storage for system containers

On 04/27/2017 06:44 AM, Giuseppe Scrivano wrote:
Daniel Walsh <dwalsh redhat com> writes:

On 04/24/2017 01:56 PM, Dusty Mabe wrote:
NOTE: please reply-all when responding to this message

In Fedora Atomic Host if we use system containers as advertised
we end up using `atomic pull --storage ostree` which by default
throws images into /var/lib/containers/atomic/. This is on the
root filesystem which may be undesirable.

Since in Fedora 26 the new version of container-storage-setup allows
us greater control over a "CONTAINER_ROOT" should we consider trying
to make sure both ostree storage and docker storage get placed under
that CONTAINER_ROOT?

The current default [1] is to just mount the CONTAINER_ROOT on
/var/lib/docker.

Dusty

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/docker.git/tree/docker.spec?h=f26#n535

Perhaps we should just mount a partition at /var or move
/var/lib/docker to /var/lib/containers/docker and make a symbolic link
from /var/lib/docker-> /var/lib/containers/docker.
Mounting a partition at /var wouldn't work with system containers.

System containers are stored in the OSTree storage and on Atomic Host
they are checked out to /ostree/deploy/$OS/var/lib/containers/atomic/ so
that the checkout and the OSTree storage are on the same file system.
This is required to use hard links instead of copying files from OSTree.

Regards,
Giuseppe

Thanks for giving us a clue. This breaks the assumptions that spawned this conversation.

We want to keep system containers on the same file system as /usr, and since we use OSTRee

and most system containers will match the arch, then we should see a lot of sharing so much smaller

disk usage then if they were standard docker images. Dusty what do you think? I guess we should think about increasing the size of the "root" file system to handle the need of system containers.