Re: [atomic-devel] Has anyone considered packaging dumb-init or tini for use in Fedora/CentOS/RHEL?

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/package/rpms/dumb-init/
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/alsadi/dumb-init/

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Muayyad AlSadi <alsadi gmail com> wrote:
typical use is a Dockerfile having

RUN curl -sSL -o /usr/local/bin/dumb-init https://github.com/Yelp/dumb-init/releases/download/v1.0.2/dumb-init_1.0.2_amd64 && chmod +x /usr/local/bin/dumb-init

ENTRYPOINT ["dumb-init", "--", "/start.sh"]

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Muayyad AlSadi <alsadi gmail com> wrote:
I've packaged dumb-init, it's in copr
And there was a package review for official repos

yes, I use it along with oneway < https://github.com/muayyad-alsadi/oneway/releases/

> What does dumb-init or tini get me that systemd doesn't?

simply dumb init does not thing, it's just exec a single process (the docker way which is single process per container)

so instead of start.sh we use dumb-init start.sh

it's not intended to do what sysvinit / systemd / upstart do
it just fork then exec it's argument, the parent process just handle defunct processes

> I am skeptical of any "resource" argument against systemd

it does not do any management (the dumb part of it's name)

> I think multiple init systems will just generate more technical questions

please give it a chance, not because we need another init system, but because it's NOT an init system.
it just run a single process (look at supervisord which is in the official repo, is more close to be an init system than dumb-init)

> Doesn't work in Kubernetes today.

I do use it with k8s!