Re: [atomic-devel] creating qcow2 for proof of concept appliance

I've done the following so far

since I'm considering very minimal installation suitable for appliance, I considered fedora's busybox, but in that case I would need to create a statically linked ostree

as I mentioned I'm not doing this to be for production server nor a workstation
I tried to start with alpine linux, but they don't provide qcow2 images,

so I run

mkdir alpine-root
docker run --rm -ti --name a1 -v `pwd`/alpine-root:/data/ alpine /bin/sh

and inside the container I run

apk --arch x86_64 -X http://nl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/main/  -X http://nl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/testing/ -U --allow-untrusted --root /data --initdb add alpine-base ostree linux-virtgrsec

the end result was

OK: 120 MiB in 67 packages

compared to 6 MB without ostree and kernel

I guess linux-virtgrsec is the smallest kernel they have

I'm not sure if 120MB for an embedded appliance is good or bad.
and this image does not have a bootloader yet

but ostree seems to be working!

now I have a directory /alpine-root having a working ostree and a kernel

what's next? add a bootloader and make that a qcow2 and make an ostree out of it