Re: [atomic-devel] Running VMs in Openshift

CRI-O can already do VMs workflows with Clear containers (as opposed to use Linux containers). Hopefully we'll have it in kubernetes soon and openshift could use it just for virtual machines workloads.

On Mar 22, 2017 05:50, "Stef Walter" <stefw redhat com> wrote:
On 22.03.2017 04:49, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 21/03/17 16:45, Stef Walter wrote:
>> One of the cool things you can do when implementing integration testing
>> is staging the test dependencies using an OCI image. And scheduling
>> integration tests in Openshift is also nice.
>>
>> For tests that integrate a full operating system, you need to start up
>> one or more VMs running that operating system. Tests then interact with
>> those VMs.
>>
>> It's easy to run VMs from inside of a privileged container that contains
>> /dev/kvm. But I want to be able to run full operating system integration
>> tests on an Openshift cluster without enabling privileged containers on
>> all nodes.
>>
>> So I've been playing with this, and hacked together:
>>
>> https://github.com/stefwalter/oci-kvm-hook
>>
>> This allows use of KVM inside any container running on a system where
>> the hook is installed. The use of a hook for this is purely pragmatic.
>>
>> A far better solution would be to change kubelet to have a --enable-kvm
>> option ... similar to the --experimental-nvidia-gpus support I see there
>> [1]. But since changes into kubernetes and then Openshift have a really
>> long lead time, this lets us play with this before hand.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> [1] https://kubernetes.io/docs/admin/kubelet/
>>

> What would the network layer look like here ?

QEMU socket with multicast [0] works on my initial testing. I need to
try it out under proper load (many thousands of instances a day) ... but
seems promising.

Stef

[0] https://people.gnome.org/~markmc/qemu-networking.html