Re: [atomic-devel] Running VMs in Openshift

On 22.03.2017 14:59, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 5:45 PM, Stef Walter <stefw redhat com> wrote:
>> One of the cool things you can do when implementing integration testing
>> is staging the test dependencies using an OCI image. And scheduling
>> integration tests in Openshift is also nice.
>>
>> For tests that integrate a full operating system, you need to start up
>> one or more VMs running that operating system. Tests then interact with
>> those VMs.
>>
>> It's easy to run VMs from inside of a privileged container that contains
>> /dev/kvm. But I want to be able to run full operating system integration
>> tests on an Openshift cluster without enabling privileged containers on
>> all nodes.
>>
>> So I've been playing with this, and hacked together:
>>
>> https://github.com/stefwalter/oci-kvm-hook
>>
>> This allows use of KVM inside any container running on a system where
>> the hook is installed. The use of a hook for this is purely pragmatic.
>>
>> A far better solution would be to change kubelet to have a --enable-kvm
>> option ... similar to the --experimental-nvidia-gpus support I see there
>> [1]. But since changes into kubernetes and then Openshift have a really
>> long lead time, this lets us play with this before hand.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> [1] https://kubernetes.io/docs/admin/kubelet/
>>

> Hey,
>
> nice work Stef.
>
> You might want to look into kubevirt [2].
> It can be used to launch full fledged VMs on Kubernetes - we haven't
> tried openshift yet.
>
> KubeVirt adds TPRs to Kube to allow dedicated management of VMs.
> But I'm not sure if it will fit your usecase.

I tried to run the demos environment a couple times with no luck. I'll
ping you on IRC.

But the main thing I was trying to discover:

After starting a VM in kubevirt, can access the qemu monitor or have
libvirt access to that VM ... from a container in a kubernetes pod?

That would be the key that suddenly makes it all go "bingo it works".

Stef