Re: [atomic-devel] Creating a new repo called libpod.

On 11/01/2017 11:34 AM, Antonio Murdaca wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2017 16:26, "Dusty Mabe" <dusty dustymabe com <mailto:dusty dustymabe com>> wrote:
>

>     On 11/01/2017 11:17 AM, Daniel Walsh wrote:
>     > Basically we are looking to move kpod out of the
>     > kubernetes-incubator/cri-o project to allow it to grow on its own.  We
>     > plan on building out the library for creating container pods to such an
>     > extent that CRI-O could use it as well as kpod.
>     >
>     > Since kpod is outgrowing the original goals of the CRI-O project we
>     > thought it best to move it to its own repository.
>     >
>     > We plan on continuing to have kpod, buildah, cri-o and skopeo all able
>     > to share the same containers/storage and containers/image libraries.
>
>     Unfortunately installing them all on a system will mean you get statically
>     compiled duplicate copies of containers/storage and containers/image. I think
>     in recent go versions "shared library" support has been getting better. Could
>     we start to do some of this for our go tools that use common libraries?
>

> Yeah, that "share" means just using the same libraries not sharing them in memory.

yep, i'm just pointing out we can't go too far down this path without addressing
that problem: memory and space on disk/downloaded across the wire.

> But the golang shared library compilation and linking is definitely something people are already looking into. I believe Vincent Batts did something in the past but it's OT for this thread i guess.

Agreed: off topic. I'll stop now but would like to know the best way to keep in touch
with efforts on making this happen?