Re: [atomic-devel] a better place for system container images?

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Giuseppe Scrivano <gscrivan redhat com> wrote:
> Hi Dusty,
>
> Dusty Mabe <dusty dustymabe com> writes:
>
>> On 11/06/2017 03:57 AM, Giuseppe Scrivano wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to find a better place where to move the system container[1]
>>> images that I am currently building under docker.io/gscrivano.
>>>
>>> CRI-O and Docker them are already used by the OpenShift installer to get
>>> the latest version available.
>>
>> Are you saying the openshift installer uses docker.io/gscrivano now?
>
> yes, docker.io/gscrivano/cri-o-centos and docker.io/gscrivano/cri-o-fedora
> are used for the CRI-O system container.
>

>> I understand that we want upstream images for "latest" content in an upstream
>> repository but we have to be careful that people know they shouldn't use it in
>> production or otherwise rely on these images long term. I think putting them under
>> projectatomic/ on docker hub might not be clear enough. Ideas:
>>
>> - create a projectatomic-devel organization and put them under there
>> - put them under projectatomic/ but add devel or upstream in the name of each image.
>
> would a tag be enough?

I feel like a tag would be enough. I'd rather not have yet another
namespace if possible. The -devel would be slightly better but I
believe tagging should suffice.

>> Openshift has a set of images they put out to the hub but they also have a
>> team of people that do release engineering. One option would be to try to
>> get them to agree to own the images and pushes to docker hub under the openshift
>> namespace.
>>> The goal is to build the images automatically on every PR merged.
>>> Occasional builds (maybe daily?) will prevent to miss changes in the
>>> base layers or in the installed rpms.
>>
>> Having the latest build pushed automatically to a registry is super useful,
>> but mostly for the developers, not as much for users.
>>
>> I really don't want someone reading a blog post where the author uses these images
>> and the reader then running them forever. Having "devel" in the name of the image
>> URI will certainly help with that. Maybe I'm being too difficult.
>
> I don't think these images should get into the openshift namespace, as
> most of them are not really connected to openshift.

I agree. While they are used in openshift in specific configurations
the images have a wider case of use.

--
Thanks,
Steve Milner