Re: [atomic-devel] Newbie atomic questions continued

yeah I'm not sure exactly, but it sounds like what you are doing should work. Does packer
power off the instance before creating a new AMI out of the disk image? If you try to trace
the steps that packer does on your own (manually) do you get the same result?

Well, AWS does power down the instance before creating the AMI as shown here:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/creating-an-ami-ebs.html

Does powering it off have some sort of effect on atomic that might cause this to happen?

The steps there for curling a file into /usr/local/bin/ should work. That directory
is read/write.

Oh, I thought all of /usr was readonly and not persisted across reboots?  Or does that not apply to /usr/local ?

Chad