Re: [atomic-devel] Kubernetes manual setup

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Stephen Milner <smilner redhat com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Chris Negus <cnegus redhat com> wrote:
>> Red Hat has been phasing out support for manually setting up vanilla Kubernetes on RHEL and RHEL Atomic. While there are still procedures for setting up Kubernetes in Fedora in the Kubernetes.io documentation, the Kubernetes project is considering dropping them because they have become outdated:
>>
>> https://github.com/kubernetes/website/issues/7301
>> https://github.com/kubernetes/website/issues/7302
>>
>> In my mind, this means that someone trying out vanilla Kubernetes will start with some OS outside of the Fedora/RHEL/CentOS ecosystem. My question is, is it okay to let this content die? Or should we encourage some way to still manually use Kubernetes on Fedora (Atomic or not)?
>>
>> -------------
>> Chris Negus
>> Red Hat Principal Technical Writer
>> RHCA, RHCI, RHCX, RHCE
>> Author of the Linux Bible, 9th Edition
>> http://amzn.to/1IBA7NF
>
> Jason Brooks has created a number of system containers for folks to
> use (source in https://github.com/projectatomic/atomic-system-containers/).
> He has some information in a blog post at:
>
>     https://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2017/11/migrating-kubernetes-on-fedora-atomic-host-27/
>
> I think having the content updated to point to or be based on Jason's
> instructions would be a good replacement.

Well actually... the main way I've used these system containers is
with the ansible scripts at:
https://github.com/kubernetes/contrib/tree/master/ansible but those
have been deprecated.

I think we should:

* drop the manual instructions from the site
* tell people who want manual to go read "kubernetes the hard way"
* focus on kubeadm for kubernetes on atomic (see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Jasonbrooks/QA/AtomicTests/Install_Kubeadm
and https://github.com/projectatomic/atomic-system-containers/tree/master/kubeadm)
* point to openshift-ansible for people who want a more complicated
configuration (https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible)

If you'd like to know *all* my thoughts on the matter, I gave a talk
on this subject at Flock: https://youtu.be/Y703n0emWUg