Re: [atomic-devel] Rebase Fedora Atomic 27 > 29 fails to boot

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019, at 11:41 AM, Doug Campbell wrote:
> Currently running Fedora Atomic 27.153
>
> Following instructions at:
> http://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2018/10/fedora-atomic-28-to-29-upgrade/ to upgrade to version 29.
>
> Upon reboot everything is fine until I see:
>
> (1 of 2) A start job is running for Network Manager (3min 6s / 1min 36s)
> [timestmp] systemd-journal[990]: Failed to send WATCHDOG=1 notification
> message: Connection refused
> [timestmp] systemd-journal[990]: Failed to send WATCHDOG=1 notification
> message: Transport endpoint is not connected
>
> The last line continues to repeat periodically for as long as I would wait.

Try sending the systemd journal to the console:
https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/
Specifically you want to add to the kernel commandline:

systemd.journald.forward_to_console=1 console=ttyS0,38400 console=tty1

If you're using the default GRUB setup just press `e` at the prompt.

If this is a physical box that's hard to change remotely, one thing I'd recommend is to try setting up a similar system in a VM (using the same config management etc.) and see if it reproduces there too.  VMs are a lot easier to debug.