Re: [atomic-devel] libvirtd+qemu-kvm on atomic server, make sense?

On Sat, May 4, 2019, at 7:27 PM, Angelos Ching wrote:
> Dear Fellow Dev / Users,
>
> I'm trying to figure out whether running libvirtd+qemu-kvm on Atomic
> server make sense.
>
> One of my CentOS 7 box (my homelab VM host) had been through
> interrupted OS update twice and it required my intervention to become
> bootable again in both instances. Atomic Server's ostree way of update
> seems to be a very good way of avoiding these kind of troubles.

Right.

> Based on my very basic research, it seems that there's an image for
> libvirtd so I tried `atomic run hrishikesh/libvirtd` but it got error
> on trying to do something with systemd. Then I noticed there's an
> official systemd image from CentOS so I tried `atomic run
> centos/systemd` which failed similarly.

Containerizing libvirt is possible but gets into interesting issues.

>  1. Whether this libvirt+qemu-kvm on atomic use case make sense?

FWIW my home server (and for that matter Silverblue), I do:
`rpm-ostree install libvirt`

Today rpm-ostree is a fully hybrid image/package system, so you're not giving up transactional updates.  More at https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/

I also do use direct qemu and libvirt qemu:///session from inside containers; it's mainly supporting the qemu:///system path that gets interesting when containerized as libvirt expects to interact with the host networking, storage etc.